Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Supper

Can you guess what this is?



This is the pea soup I made 3 nights ago for supper.  I love split pea and ham soup....well...really any soup...but when I was a kid, I used to love to pop a can of Campbells split pea and ham soup into the microwave.  I haven't had any in yeeeeears and Steve's aunt left me a ham bone from the family gathering we had last weekend.  She knows how I like to cook.  I do think she thought I knew what to do with it.  I did not.  So, I googled it and applied the directions.  The ham bone made a beautiful stock!  So tasty.  I was thrilled!  Next, I rinsed my split peas and let them soak and cook in the ham stock.  I was feeling so domestic and Caroline Ingalls'ish again.  Stokin' my wood-burning fireplace fAHr with split pea and ham soup on the stove.  .....  The stove.  :(  My new pots and pans have told me they don't like our electric range.  It takes forever for the burners to warm up and then the burners go from warm to inferno and the only warning is the almost warm feeling they get on their bottoms before they have no choice but to burn whatever is inside.  For this story, it was the split peas and ham and gorgeous ham stock.  I have yet to discover a "simmer" on this blasted electric range.  It's either cool to touch or a scolding cauldron.  I'm not really complaining.  I'm just sort of having fun, making fun of myself as I added 2/3 cup of water to a glop of what looks like Oscar the Grouch puke-in-a-bowl, and set it in the microwave.  Even with the black crustyness floating throughout, it does beat Campbell's. 




However, hubby won't eat it.  He nearly dry-heaved the other night when I presented it as supper.  Fortunately, I hadn't filled his bowl and he silently fixed himself something else for supper.  LOL 
While I've taunted and tantalized friends tastebuds with pictures, on Facebook, of some of my baking treats - I decided to keep it real tonight by sharing my split pea and ham soup.  Pass the salt please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment