Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Season

A perfect evening is in the works.  Well, perfect, as in, not ideal, but I will make it perfect and be content.  I have actually out-snuggled myself with my Boy Wonder.  He has been sick since 11:30AM yesterday.  By that time today, he was feeling much better.  I laid with him so much, at his request, also because it just freaks me out when he spikes temperatures.  Believe it or not, I'm good on the snuggling for a day or so now.  Jacob is laying in my bed, watching a Curious George movie and nestled in with his favorite stuffed animals.  I actually lit a fire, in the fire place.  It's 52 degrees outside at 5:30 pm.  That is awesome!  But do you know how, in these season changes, your home can feel colder inside than it is outside?  That's how it feels this evening.  Hubby is at a meeting for the evening.  Therefore, I decided to start a fire.  I plan to journal, read and plan my garden. 

I decided today that I will dedicate my garden, year after year, to my Levi.  It will be something that I can cultivate, plant, nurture, weed and see fruit from each year.  This brings a resolution to my soul this week.  It's interesting how nature, with it's changing seasons, has this pull on me to move along too.  A new season is almost upon us. 

The other thing I'm doing this evening, is making bread.  Hubby loves this bread.  Try it.  Don't be afraid of dough.  It's therapy.  If I can do it, anyone can - of course with my Kitchen Aid mixer and dough hook, I can.  ;)  If making bread is old hat to you, try this recipe.  It's a recipe from Oct./Nov. 2010 Taste of Home.  It's called Everything Bread:

1 pkg. active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 cup warm 2% milk (110-115 degrees)
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 T. sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 t. salt
4-4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 egg white
2 t. water
1 t. coarse sea or kosher salt
1 t. dried minced onion
1 t. each sesame, caraway, and poppy seeds

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add the milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour.  Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. 

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured sufrace; divide dough into thirds.  Shape each into a 20 inch rope.  Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.  Cover and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.

Combinge egg white and water; brush over dough.  Combine the salt, onion and seeds; sprinkle over bread.  Bake at 375 degrees for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. 

I don't know why...but I want to say, "God bless each of you that is reading this and that has been such an encouragement to me.  I thank God for you and I pray that your weekend is filled with immeasurable joy, peace AND that avenues, of fulfilling your dreams, open wide to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment