Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Rebel Angel Food Cake

I have to share these pictures of the angel food cake I baked yesterday afternoon. I do not know how this happened, but it is very funny to me. The batter looked just fine to me as I poured it in the pan. In fact, I thought it looked better than usual. At 40 minutes, in the oven, this is what it looked like...


I was amused and laughing, but decided to continue to let it bake until it looked baked through. About 10 minutes later, it looked like this when I removed it from the oven...

I didn't know what to do with it, except to take a picture and share it on Facebook. Got some laughs from friends about it, turned around to look at the cake again and the hump or volcanic action was receding. It was starting to look "normal". So, I thought, "Get this bugger upside down and ready to cool. It might not be a failure after all!" I didn't know that the cake was going to make me laugh harder yet. As I flipped the cake upside down, I kept watching it. I mean, I did feel like it was some kind of scientific experiment. I could hear Beeker in the background...oh.....that wasn't Beeker, that was the cake passing gas. What? I tipped the pan back to the regular position, as I was hunkered beneath it to see where this sound of air escaping, was coming from. It sounded like an SBD. Sure enough, as I started to tip the cake to the upside-down position, the center of the "volcano" started to open up and air and steam whisper-whistled out. After setting the pan down, rolling on the floor with laughter, I decided the cake needed an autopsy. See exhibit #3....
The bottom 1/3 of the angel food cake was a gelatin-like layer. It was rubbery and tough. Not exactly the consistency and texture an angel food cake should be. I still do not know what caused this phenomenon. I have made many, many angel food cakes from scratch -but this one takes the cake. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment